Nursery Funding

Help with childcare fees

  • Funding for 2 year olds
  • Funding for 3-4 year olds
  • When your child qualifies for a free place?
  • What is the Early Years Pupil Premium?
  • Tax Credits
  • Workplace Vouchers

Some 2 year olds in England can also get the Free Early Education Entitlement (FEEE).

To qualify you must be getting one of the following:

  • income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income not over £16,190
  • the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Working Tax Credits and earn £16,190 a year or less

Children are also entitled to a place if they:

  • are looked after by the county council
  • have a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education health and care plan
  • get Disability Living Allowance
  • have left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order

If your child is eligible, you can start claiming  the term after they turn 2. The date you can claim will depend on when their birthday is.

Child’s birthday:When you can claim:
1 January and 31 March the start of the summer term following their second birthday
1 April and 31 August the start of the autumn term following their second birthday
1 September and 31 December the start of the spring term following their second birthday

To see if you can access nursery funding for your two year old, please visit

If you have any issues using the online checker, please either visit your local Children's Centre or call Leicestershire County Council on 0116 305 6208.

15 hours free childcare

All children in England get 570 free hours per year. It’s usually taken as 15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year, but you can choose to take fewer hours over more weeks, for example.

You can get it from the term after your child’s 3rd birthday.

30 hours free childcare

You may be able to get up to 30 hours free childcare (1,140 hours per year, which you can choose how you take).

If you’re eligible for the extra hours, you sign up online to get a code to give to your childcare provider to reserve your place. You’ll get the extra hours once the next term starts.


You can usually get 30 hours free childcare if you (and your partner, if you have one) are:

  • in work - or getting parental leave, sick leave or annual leave
  • each earning at least the National Minimum Wage or Living Wagefor 16 hours a week - this is £125.28 if you’re over 25

This earnings limit does not apply if you’re self-employed and started your business less than 12 months ago.

You’re not eligible if:

  • your child does not usually live with you
  • the child is your foster child
  • either you or your partner has a taxable incomeover £100,000
  • you’re from outside the EEAand your UK residence card says you cannot access public funds

You can get 30 hours free childcare at the same time as claiming Universal Credit, tax credits or childcare vouchers.

If you cannot work

You may still be eligible if your partner is working, and you get Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance, Carer’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance.

Apply for 30 hours free childcare

To check to see if you are eligible for the next term, please visit

You’ll need your details (and your partner’s, if you have one), including your:

  • National Insurance number
  • Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), if you’re self-employed

You’ll get a childcare account if your application is successful. You can use it to get your code for 30 hours free childcare.

If you pay for childcare and want to use Tax-Free Childcare to get help with costs, you can also apply using this service.

The table below shows when your child will become eligible for their free early learning place.

If your child is born between:

They are eligible for a free place from:

1 April and 31 August 1 September following their third birthday until statutory school
1 September and 31 December

1 January following their third birthday until statutory school age

1 January and 31 March 1 April following their third birthday until statutory school age


From April 2015, children who are currently claiming the Free Entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds in Leicestershire, who meet certain eligibility criteria, could be eligible for the Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP). The Early Years Pupil Premium is extra funding paid to early years/nursery providers to improve outcomes for eligible children. It is new this year.

How will I know if my child is entitled?
Children will be eligible if they are 3 or 4 years old, receiving Free Early Education Entitlement (FEEE) with any OFSTED registered childcare provider and their parents are in receipt of one or more of the benefits:

    • Income Support
    • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
    • Child Tax credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
    • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit.

Or if they have been:

      • Looked after by the local authority for at least one day
      • Have been adopted from care
      • Have left care through special guardianship; and subject to a child arrangement order setting out with whom the child is to live (formerly known as residence orders)

How do I apply for EYPP funding?
Along with your Parents Statement of Undertaking form, we will ask you to complete a consent form in order to establish your eligibility for the Early Years Pupil Premium.  DOWNLOAD FORM HERE

How much is the funding?
The amount is 53p per hour. It is directly linked to the number of free hours you are claiming your nursery funding with us. So if you claim 10 hours per week, the premium will be 10 x 53p (£5.30) per week.

How do I receive the EYPP?
The EYPP is paid directly to us as your chosen nursery to care for your child as part of your normal funding claim.

How will the provider use the EYPP?
We will use the money in ways that we believe will support your child’s learning and development. The support will be guided by your child’s developmental needs as identified through the completion of your child’s Early Assessment Review.

Will I be involved in how the money is being spent?
Your child’s key person, as part of their ongoing communication, will continue to talk to you about your child’s time in the setting. The EYPP will be used to support your child’s learning and development. We may combine the EYPP payments for several children, or work with other early year’s settings, in order to fund specific activity or training.

Child Tax Credit is available to any family (which includes lone parents) with at least one child under 16 (or 19 if in full time education). Higher rates of benefit are available for children under the age of one or for children with disabilities. Unlike the old credits, Child Tax Credit is paid direct to the main carer (in practice, usually the mother), who does not have to be in work.

Child Tax Credit consists of a family element and a separate element for each child. The amount depends on how many children there are in the household and how much parents jointly earn. The child element is targeted at the lowest earning households but the family element is available even for relatively high earning families, although at a lower rate.

Working Tax Credit is available to anyone in work, whether or not they have children. It does, however, include an element designed to cover a substantial proportion of eligible childcare costs. Again, the credit is targeted at low earners so that benefit is reduced as household incomes rise. Working Tax Credit is paid as part of the pay packet: the employer deducts the amount of the payment from the tax which he has collected from employees before paying it over to HMRC. For the self employed, the credit is payable direct from the HMRC more detailed view of tax credits and workplace vouchers please click

The nursery accepts workplace vouchers that can be organised through your employer. We are registered with several voucher schemes and will be happy to accept them. If we are not registered with a particular scheme which you are using, we will be happy to talk this through with you.